Does the fountain of youth exist? Why do some individuals age gracefully while others do not? There are a lot of theories and methods thought to help you maintain your youthful look and feel, but the following list contains scientifically proven ways to stay healthy, young looking, young minded and energetic.
• Do aerobic exercise.
• Do strength training.
• Limit consumption of red meat. High levels of homocysteine found in red meat are associated with increased
risk for brain impairment.
• Eat foods rich in Omega 3’s, like salmon, to improve brain power and prevent cognitive decline.
• Exercise with friends or in a social environment for brain stimulation.
• Learn new activities. Try new sports or variations of an existing one, so new brain pathways are developed.
• Challenge yourself. Challenging activities lead to more positive brain changes.
• Use your mind and your body and try activities that allow you to do this together, like dancing.
• Do what you love and are passionate about, to enhance positive and long- lasting brain changes.
Sophia Loren, age 78, has been quoted as saying “There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.”
Best wishes for a happy, active, and healthy new year,
Dr. Shelley Alper